Thursday, September 8, 2011

Business casual? No problem!

I really like being involved on campus, but that involves a lot of interviews, dinners and events that require formal (and professional!) attire. I was thrilled to get an interview this week for a campus organization I'm interested in, until I realized that all of my business casual things were at home! Luckily one of the perks of being in a sorority is having 40 closets to borrow from, so I was able to scrounge something up pretty easily. Anyway, this is what I came up with:


I decided to go with the simple button-down (in KU blue!), black skirt and black pumps look. Here's some foolproof rules about business dress that I've learned throughout the years and from the career-focused honors society that I'm a part of:

-When in doubt, go more formal, not less formal. Showing up a little overdressed isn't too big of a deal, but showing up underdressed tends to be embarrassing and unprofessional.

-Think simple. No big jewelry, no dark make-up and no crazy hairstyles. You want to stand out from the crowd, but not so much that it detracts from the most important thing - you! Try spicing things up with lip color or a subtle pattern.

-Invest in a portfolio. It can hold your resume, keys, cell phone, money and lip gloss - what more does a girl need? This way you won't have to carry around a huge purse.

-Finally, be modest. If you would wear it to a club or party, it almost certainly is not business casual. Avoid cleavage, short skirts or sky-high heels! Save it for the weekends :)

Do you have to dress business casual very often?  I'd love to hear some of your go-to tips!

1 comment:

  1. looks a lot like what I wore to my internship this Summer! cute and classic.

    ReplyDelete